Tolkiencraft Server: Explore Middle Earth

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
We have been busy little dwarves, setting up a new server for you to play on: Tolkiencraft! This modpack is fairly unique. It combines modded minecraft with a huge map of Middle Earth and custom mods and quests. You can play in either a world using Biomes of Plenty and pretend it's your typical modpack with lots of different things to do, or journey to the new dimension of middle earth. Or do both.

FAQ:

Q: Do i need to download a modpack or something?
A: Yes, just like playing DW20 or other modded servers. You can get the pack off of our launcher or the FTB launcher. (Use version .14 if on FTB)

Q: There are quests?
A: Yes, lots of quests and more to come. You use the questbook from HardcoreQuestingMode, and quests from custom NPC's mod.

Q: Whats the first quest?
A: Run around town, talk to people in the market. Then go visit the king. He'll give you coins to buy stuff in town.

Q: How do i see quests?
A: For HQM you have your quest book. If you lose the book type '/kit book' . For other quests, hit the 'L' key. Pay attention to your quests, sometimes you'll have similar quests that can be done at the same time. The first of these is killing mobs to help the king. You'll have two quests and get two rewards. But if you don't do the first parts to enable both, you might have to do twice as much work.

Q: So this city is Middle Earth?
A: No, this is the city of Draconis. You are still in the normal Minecraft world. After you do some small quests around town (and get some cool rewards), you will gain access to the temple and be able to journey to middle earth.

Q: Cool, so i get to the Shire and can kill hobbits?
A: Why, yes, is you wish to be evil and impress the orcs. However it will make it tough talking to rangers, elves, gondorians.....Might want to wait a bit and visit a few places before going on a murder spree.

Q: you mean there is reputation in this?
A: Yes, you'll have a status with many of the peoples of middle, both good and bad. Killing orcs impresses dwarves and rangers etc. You can see your faction on your screen and scroll through them with the left/right arrows.

Q: How do i find out where to go?
A: Hit 'N', it will give you a map. You can teleport to waypoints in regions you've been to. This map takes a lot of traveling. Of note, the rivers on the map are huge rivers. Boating may be a good way to travel. Building your town on a river might be cool too.

Q: Are all the places on the map cities or neat areas like in the movies?
A: Nope, in fact not much is built yet. Its a huge work in progress. Many of the staff want to build things though, and if interested, you can talk to us about building in an area. Have an idea for Brandywine Hall? Or want to dig out Moria? Talk to us.

Q: Can i conveniently put my base on a waypoint?
A: No. That's convenient for you, not the rest of the players. However, some players who build good might be given an area to build up. So maybe when you get to the Lonely Mountain you'll find a small and growing Dwarf fortress.

Q: I hear horns, and see a glowing sword, and what's this about an invasion?
A: Shut up and run you fool!!

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
We are shooting for this weekend. Might be "Friday NZ time" or might be "late sunday Mik time" or might be next weekend :)

Dez and I will be loading up some changes today, hopefully, after talking to the modpack author, Great Orator. Arns and I have been putting in protections, testing out configs, and getting a lot set up. So work continues.

Note on the pack: It's a big WIP. While there are lots of watchtowers, orc forts, hobbit holes, ruins, and other structres in middle earth, you won't find Minas tirith and other towns. Those will be coming along later. Some will get built on our server and then submitted to the pack. But the pack is quite fun, and a bit different in some ways. A lot of "non LOTR" mods are in there, so it's still modded minecraft. Some mods you've never played with and are quite new.

KiwiFrogg

I tried this pack a little while ago, on my pc its was really slow and kind of laggy, all the ftb and atlauncher 1.6 packs run no trouble on my pc. Just this and dw20 are really slow, is this something you've manage to fix on the server?

dezil_nz

Content Creator
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
dezil_nz
also kiwifrog as soon as you start playing on a server it takes a big chunk of what causes lag in 1.7 which is the chunkloading and generation away from you and puts it on the server

ShadowKissed

Minecraft Username
ShadowKissed
IceCubesBurning said:
Know that when its out, YOU SHALL NOT, PASS!
I think...there isn't meant to be a comma...isn't it like... "YOU!!!...SHALL!!!...NOT!!!...PASS!!!"...just thought the "..." makes it better...as it is with everything in my mind :p...oh and more exclamation marks...it helps :p...

FaMatrix

Content Creator
Journeyman
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
FaMatrix
Can't wait for this! :DD

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Warg + Warg armor + many different types of wargs + lotsofevil = Eat the horses and go riding in style.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Getting close to putting this out folks. The latest update has been pushed to the FTB launcher and will up soon. We're waiting on opening up the server until then since it changes worldgen. We get roads, Hobbiton, and Mt. Doom.

In the future, there will be addtional places to download for the map, such as Buckland, Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Bree, Isenguard, and an Uruk-Hai fortress. Pay no attention to Dez, Mik and other people from lolnet when they talk about building things like Helms Deep, the Brandywine bridge, Isenguard.....well, you might get a clue from that. More news soon.