Thoughts on Invasion

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Well, so far i like the configs changed to slow down progression.

I'm a bit surprised though at the world. This one is mostly snow and wasteland, and buildings and villages are probably cut down to 1/20th of what it was in the latest version. Definitely less easy to find a lot of resources and crafting tables will really be a resource now. I used to stumble over a half stack in two hours of traveling.

I'm still looking for a spot without snow after 6 hours, and pray i find a place with wool for a bed. :)

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Just noticed i have no questbook, and not getting a new one when i die. Odd, it worked last night for me, but i think someone else had this happen?

A new one can always be crafted from a book and string though.

Meatnog

Journeyman
Minecraft Username
Meatnog
My questbook spawned every time I died, which lead to duplicate quests books as my old one was still in my inventory. I died a lot so I have a lot of experience with this ;)

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Oddly, it seems to come and go with me. Last night i realized I didn't have a questbook again. Had at least a half dozen deaths though. But i'll just make a new one today from string plus book.

A more painful bug: Once placed, you cannot destroy Hardened Tier 1 or Tier 3 stone. It may be an extra key to hit or something? I did destroy it one time in a huge area while talking on Discumble. My push to talk key and the excavation key are the same. Not sure what all i pressed to do it.

So be very careful when placing down this material.

JustCabman

Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
JustCabman
I was able to break Harden walls tier 1 with a iron pick, have not tried blocks. there was a slight delay, and I did try a couple of times on the same piece. I don't know if this is a design feature to stop mobs AI from mining it ?

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
We figured out tonite that the person who placed the block can mine it with an open hand and SHIFT.

Others get a "don't have permission" message.

Players mining take the block out in one hit with anything, open hand or tool, but only client side.

Except....Mintyyyy could mine then right after the server started, but not a bit later.

Sponge probably.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
For those wondering about starting, we are up to Laser creepers riding mechanical Trex. Don't fight anything. Just run, hide, gather. Difficulty is at 8 currently. Most mobs very slow. And if you stay 32 or so blocks away, you are fairly ok. If the creeper can see you, you'll know immediately :)

JustCabman

Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
JustCabman
I have been thinking about how this pack will run as a server later on as the mobs get harder and harder. Perhaps a safe server community built (in survival) complex near spawn to provide a safe haven for newbies. it would possible require regular repair and refortification and community exploration parties to venture out and gather resources. this will be the only way newbies can get a start (they will still have the option to brave the world alone). This pack is hard, and once realised players will appreciate the safe haven provided, and the work that has gone into it, and be less tempted to grief. Anyone found not playing by the "rules" could be exiled to me their fate. Perhaps some might choose to team up and start outpost communities. It will have a real "the walking dead" on steroids feel to it.

I'm not up with the play how this could be achieved or improved with plugins and/or whitelisting, or if this would be even possible. I would leave this up to the lovely people that run Lolnet. But I am happy to contribute in any other way I can, as I know the effort that this might require.

Hopefully this might open up discussion as to how Invasion can become a permanent sever on lolnet, and inspired some thinking.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
This world is sort of a test. On the next version I probably won't run for 4400 blocks, and the spawn area will be a bit more habitable. Snow wasteland really sucked.

If we have grief prevention, then people might not mind having a small hostel near their base that they supply. If someone can set their spawn every 500-1k blocks, it wouldn't be so bad, and spawn would be less of a challenge to get out of.

But the world is getting to be more challenging. We are up to making some dark steel armor and powering it up, and we still die a lot because you make a mistake and get swarmed, or a creeper gets you. Traveling is riskier. It's fun to have the world level with us.

JustCabman

Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
JustCabman
Found a solution for breaking Harden Blocks and electric fences from Open modular passive defence. Shift right click

FaMatrix

Content Creator
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
FaMatrix
Found a solution for breaking Harden Blocks and electric fences from Open modular passive defence. Shift right click
.. Thanks man.

Now I don't have to get on anymore really.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
There is another twist to it as well: Only the player who places them can get rid of them.

And the shif/Rclick needs to be with open hand.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
I checked several of the known dupe bugs and they have adjusted recipes accordingly, i think.

Server difficulty is up to 21 now. Mobs are very tough if you have iron or diamond armor with no enchants. But get them leveled up a bit, and get some protection on them and it makes a huge difference. Projectile protection and fire protection are VERY useful against creepers. Making lasers to use against creepers helps. Overall, I think players can easily keep pace.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
When we start the next world, assuming we are adding plugins, not a lot needs to be active.

Having /Sethome will make getting out of spawn easier.
No need for a /home command. And in fact it takes away from the pack.
Grief Protection is needed. This will let players build nearer to spawn, and not worry about other players raiding.

Having the usual /ignore server, and /ignore person would be nice at times :)

dezil_nz

Content Creator
Veteran
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
dezil_nz
/ignore comands should be active as they are at the bungee level, to set GP up properly is going to take some time as by default it wont let mobs break things so we are going to need to override some flags for this to take place

JustCabman

Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
JustCabman
After my first attempt at this pack, I am hooked. at level 21, and now having made a mistake I am ready for a reset. (happy to wait for the majority to be keen)
trying to restart at this level is near impossible.
I believe it is possible to build a "safe" Spawn building. this would be helpful, especially if there is some form of starting resources there (perhaps trade signs).

On this occasion I would be keen for a complete Reset and map regeneration, but in the future would it be possible just to reset the "days" to lessen the mob level. this could be a regular monthly occurrence ( or via a monthly vote) to give those a chance to make a start. It should not bother those that have already levelled up and protected themselves. this would mean that if you do make a mistake in your base design and protection systems that you know you will be able to take a break (go on another pack) until the end of the month then have another go.

/sethome /home would be nice for when mobs break you bed. maybe with a long cooldown (teleport home is possible with the magic tether)
/rtp would be good to get away from spawn to make a start, but would need a large cooldown or one time use to avoid detracting from the pack design

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
New World is coming soon, we are setting it up now.

Progression of difficulty will be a bit slower. We'll decide in the future about resetting of days, and see how things play out.

We are probably doing /sethome, just to make it possible to run from spawn without starting over when you die. No /home at all. The magic tether is ingame so players can use that. /Rtp I don't think we put in. Even with a long cool down, people would abuse it each and every day. And no matter what we tell people, they would /rtp and then die somehow. )

There will be Grief Prevention to protect your stuff from players. Not from mobs. Technically it's possible that a player might be able to do something to grief your area. Such player is easily caught and banned.

If you visit someone elses claim, and die, ...well, sucks to be you. Don't trespass. You can now wait until that person is online and breaks your grave for you. Go make new stuff. This might seem harsh, but the pack revolves around deathtraps, lasers, razor wire, and other ways to kill mobs. You blunder into someone's claim and it might kill you too.

Spawn is safe, no mobs. Trading is something players should do. We will have signs to buy more GP blocks, since that is sort of standard, but other than that no Shop. It's a catch22. Either the items we sell are usefull and we are mucking with the pack difficulty, or they aren't and you don't need them :).

NOTE: When i say "we", it's habit. I'm not staff anymore. "We" means the guys doing the work and making decisions. I'm just active making suggestions on packs I think will be fun to play. Dez, LX, Matrix and the rest of the staff do all the work :)

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
DEZ: Something to be aware of with Minecolonies. Once the first block is placed it protects an area 180 radius around the townhall. Players can add players to a trusted list. So even if two people build 100 apart, and one person does minecolony, he can trust the other guy and they just continue on. The trusted player is still prevented by GP from messing with the original base.

However, the second person can't do his own Minecolony without having the townhall 360 away from the first.

I do not see a problem here. Players can decide to build close to each other, or not. Their decision. And with how the pack runs, i don't see many folk doing Minecolonies and surviving for long :)

The only big deal will be Dying inside that area and needing your grave. But, oh well, maybe you should not be in that persons town. :)

We can encourage Minecolony players to mark their boundaries. Skulls on poles?