The Outlands: a Lolnet server project

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Intro

I am starting the process of designing my Outlands server. This is a modpack/world that i want to build for lolnet, its not intended to be a modpack for distribution, primarily because i also want to have a custom map. When you first join the server on day 1, there will be a giant ruined city, abandoned spaceport, mercenary camps, bandit fortresses, undrer ground bunkers and ruined factories. Many of these will be guarded by respawning custom mobs, and quest NPC's.

WARNING: this may take a while, and will get re-written many times. Just using this thread rather than a notebook to write it all down.

History: Long ago back in the day when Tekkit was king I played and eventually was an admin on a server called The Mining Dead. It was one of the original Tekkit Deluxe servers, back when that actually meant anything. Played on it for about 1.5 years until running it became too much for Skuli. Other people mucked with it and it sort of went nowhere and eventurally closed. But it does hold fond memories for me. This isn't an attempt to recreate that server, but is maybe an attempt to recreate the feel of it. Hard server, wasteland, cityworld (like in apocalypse) tech based, competition between towns, and low resources until you get good at the mods and utilize a lot of little tricks. And zombies.

Why this type of server?
1. A lack of resources mean't that a player based economy started up almost immediately. Because it was tougher to farm, mine, and work through mods, people would trade resources a lot more. An example was iron. Tons of iron in the cities. But it meant running around, doing a bit of parkour, dodging zombies, while collecting iron from construction sites and looking for buildings with iron doors. These could all be melted down to ingots in an alloy furnace.
2. Some players enjoy raiding and pvp. Normally, a lot of 'raiding' is more "nya nya, loser, got your base". You don't need the stuff. But on this server, finding a couple unprotected machines and a stack of ore or food was a huge when you were starting out. Similarly, getting some good tools or armor from someone who either died to zombies, or you helped to fall off of a ledge was a great way to save your own resources. And fighting for scraps in the ruins fits into the storyline.
3. Towns were tough to support. Not a lot of loners. Players grouped together in towns, working together and building.
4. The server had a longer lifespan than i see with most modded servers these days. It took longer to accomplish things, so people played and built more.
5. Pvp is more balanced because there will not be easy to get OP equipment. No invulnerable armor, no massive long range spells. No creative flight. Sure, having a jetpack makes it easy to evade a guy with a sword. But not a guy with an Ak-47.
6. Setting up quests with CustomNPC mod is easier to do. Again, without OP items, you won't have players farming easy to kill mobs. I'm not going to spend time setting up an oil refinery guarded by bandits on a server like DW20. No point when players are in no danger, and don't even need the items in the refinery.
7. Its something different. And i think having unique servers to play on is cool.

Goal
The goal is to create a modded server that has a slow development of a tech base centered on Industrial craft 2, some resources plentiful, some limited, Raiding and PVP as players fight for resources or just want to whack each other. Working long term, players can create very complex machinery and gain large advantages over new players, but its going to take a lot of time, not just a few nights.

Theme
The theme of the server is heavily Science fiction and technology bases. While we I may look at some mods that don't totally fit the theme, I'm going to try and keep this to tech mods. No thaumcraft or Arsmajica2. The tech mods used will also be a bit tougher than normal. If will take quite a bit of mining and work to build up a tech base in your town. If we see a cool tech mod, but it's 1/10th the resources and does similar things as existing mods, we might tweak the recipes a little. (Looking at you, Big Reactors, explanation later).

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Story

Scene 1: Someone doesn't like you and you've been sent to the Outlands Correctional Facility. A bleak prison on a hell world where you will live out your worthless days working for the Overseer. You're in prison. You'll have to earn your way out by mining for the Overseer. While inside you may make new friends and enemies, as PVP is on in most areas. Custom NPC's will provide bankspace for what little you own. Several prison staff will have quests, blackmarket deals, and information. Rumors of a way to escape via the sewer system may prove to be true. Strange bits of information may lead you deep into the underhive area to seek something very old, from another age. Whether you choose to escape the prison or work your way out is up to you. There are advantages, and disadvantages, to both paths.

Scene 2: After either escaping or working your way out of prison, you make it to the Outlands. A dismal world of no animals, no crops, and ruined city everywhere. Is that a tree? Is that a man with a gun by the tree? "Hi man guarding the tree, can I have an apple?" BANG!.....people aren't friendly in the Outlands. PVP on. Food is scarce, you'll be eating zombie flesh, and dried zombie flesh. If your lucky, a zombie drops a seed or potato so you can start a farm. Well, if you had dirt...and if you had water....if someone doesn't steal your potato....
How did people use to do this before food processing machines? You'll die a lot while finding little bits of wood and supplies in the ruins as you make your way to Tradetown.

Scene3: You found your way to Tradetown, but with little to trade, it was a quick visit. No enclaves will take you in, and you can't make your own yet. Without a way to protect what little you own, it's time to go Hide! Resources are thin here....too many ex-inmates scavenging in the ruins. Maybe you'd have a better chance heading to one of the other towns you heard about. Make a temporary base, hide in a cave eating zombie jerky....Find hidden water and dirt, start a farm with a seed. Stay hidden so no one finds you. Should you trust someone? Will they just kill you and take your stuff?

Scene4: Join an enclave (town) or earn enough to by a land deed and start your own.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Theme

Sometime in the future society has decided to outsource all Correctional Facilities to large corporations, rather than government run prisons. Dezcorp, a leader in the field of Intergalactic Rehabilitation Facilities, has a government contract to rehab persons who for some reason have broken societies laws. (This is where you come in.) Felons are given over to the care of Dezcorp for rehabilitation and incarceration, offplanet, at Dezcorp facilities in far parts of the galaxy. Rumors that Dezcorp will "disappear" anyone for a small fee are totally unfounded. You are of course a criminal, not just someone who was in the way of your buddy getting a promotion. Dezcorp would never just grab people as a source of cheap labor and throw them into a horrible envioment for slave labor.

An innovator in Prison Technology, Dezcorp has promised that you will serve out your full sentence. Death is not an option. Each felon has had their genetic sequence entered into Dezcorp computers. If you die, your mind will be downloaded into a clone body and you can continue to server out your sentence.

You will need to get out of prison somehow, make your way to Tradetown, find a way to not be tied to respawning in a fixed location. Earn enough to make your own town to protect your items. Carve out an area of the wilderness and create a place to live and survive.

You will constantly be at risk from the enviorment, mobs, and even other players.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Mods and Plugins list:
(added as they are needed in storyline or server mechanics)

WorldGen

Mods will be used to create a ruined world, with nothing but massive abandoned buildings, and sandy wasteland with pools of lava. Water will probably be present, but finite. Get out those rainbarrels.

Ruins Mod http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/ma ... ing-system
This mod allows Mik to create structures such as ruined factories, abandoned oil wells, hidden bunkers. These will spawn randomly in the world for players to find. May have mob spawners, won't have custom NPCs.

Cityword Generation http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/cityworld/
This is the main plugin that will create the giant ruined cities and sandy wastelands.

Wasteland Mod (for jampack, not regular server)

Technical Mods
Balancing Techmods: The pack is built around Industrialcraft2. I'll be basing tech progression on IC2. What normally happens in modpacks with several techmods are combinations that make the game much easier than each mod alonge is. I won't be putting in something like Big reactors when we have IC2 reactors. I won't have an easy mekanism steel recipe when we have more interesting ones in IC2 and railcraft. I want to put in more tech mods than just IC2 to use their tools/armor/weapons and other neat items. But change the recipes so they have IC2 components and fit into a progression. This is important for both the feel of the world, and for pvp purposes. I want to leave in midtier weapons and armor that give a player an advantage, but at a high cost in time and labor to get those items.

Example: Mekanism obsidian armor is very good with 50% more protection than diamond. But only a bit more work. This will be available, but may take some IC2 parts, and more resources. Making it more difficult to get, and a greater loss when you lose it.

Example2: Big Reactors. Very cool multiblock reactors and turbines. The problem is, it's just too easy. You need nothing other than a furnace and crafting table to make them. Better than IC2 reactors because they don't blow up, and need a lot less resources. I still want them in the pack because they have cool mechanics and looks. What I'll do is take a look at the recipes, and substitute parts and materials from IC2 for iron ingots and glass. I'll balance power they put out from uranium to be about what an IC2 reactor puts out. Big Reactors take a lot more space, IC2 are compact but can blow up. There's a difference, but i can make the cost to build and what they put out about the same. You have a choice now and go with what you want to build, or what you already know.

While there seems to be a good amount of wood and lava in the world, these are limited when it comes to generating a lot of power for replicators and mass fabricators. Most mid to high end items will take iridium. Iridium takes a lot of power and a tech base. Automated power will have to be things like biofuel, solar, and wind. Nuclear power will be viable with a much higher amount of uranium available than normal. Oil/fuel will have a much higher energy output than normal, but is hard to find.

IndustrialCraft2Experimental
IC2 addons: quarry, advanced machines, advanced solar
Forestry (no bees, and no bees means no trees)
Thermal Dynamics (pipes)
Thermal Expansion (recipe changes to equalize with IC2)
Redstone Arsenal
GalacticCraft
Galacticraft Planets
Applied Energistics
Railcraft
Buildcraft (With fuel/oil being many times more powerful, as energy will be a bit scarcer without living trees.)
Bluepower
Project Red
Enderstorage (Endertanks, chests, pouches)
Computercraft
Cogs of the machine
Flaxbeards steampower
Draconic Evolution (some pieces from this, the server will have no OP armor and weapons to keep things in balance for pvp)
Meteors
HyperionCraft (borderlands style checkpoints that set your spawnpoint.) http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/ma ... themed-mod
Floodlights http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/ ... loodlights
Flans mods (because...guns..lots of guns)
Flans World of Tanks ( iffy on this one).
Archimedies Ships (tour the wastelands in a blimp)
Steves Carts

Techmods I want to use, but bring them in line with IC2 for output/power, needed resources, and recipes.

Big Reactors
Mechanism
Thermal Expansion
Steves Carts

Why change things? Well, lets take BIg Reactors as an example. What is needed to make one? Just a furnace and a crafting table. Stoneage to nuclear power in one easy step. It makes the work and resources to get an IC2 reactor running seem silly. Plus, not only does the Big Reactor take less resources and no machinery to make, it puts out far more power, won't blow up, and Looks Cooler. Seems like a win/win/win situation.

Except the losers are every other way in the pack to make power, and all the structure needed to make those other machines. Player A spends a month on the server building and slowly getting some solar cells, a windgenerator, maybe some geothermal. Lots of mining, making dozens of machines, big setup. Finally gets his reactor set up and finds a way to keep the heat down, and generate 100eu/t if he's careful about it. Player B joins the server and 3 hours later has a reactor that 1) never blows up and 2) he made with 1/10th the resources and no extra machines needed. Player B tells Player A he doesn't know how to play minecraft. Player A shoots him with his assault rifle, steals his reactor.

For a pack like DW20, big reactors is fine. For a pack like Outlands, technology just shouldn't be that easy to get. Hell, dirt and water are tough to get.

Techmods I looked at but dont want to use:

Rotarycraft - Hard to fit into the pack since Rieka doesn't want anyone changing recipes, and some recipes require things that wont be available.
Tinkers Construct -Would overpower a lot of other items. Unless we limited things with TC. Getting stuff for a smelter is pretty easy. Living to use it to make tools, not so easy.

Quest Mods
Custom NPC
Runic Dungeons [Not to use the dungeon, chalk will be disabled, i want the indestructible blocks for quest buildings]

Other mods
Cosmetic Armor (wear one set for stats and protection, but looks like another set you like the look of better)
Outlands Tweaks (custom stuff done for this modpack)
Custom Chest Loot
Headcrumbs (because killing JadedCat is fun, and they are actually pretty dangerous)

Mobs
Epic Seige Mod
Special AI (to adjust mob drops)
Lycanites mobs (trimmed down to appropriate mobs for the world.)
Grimoire of Gaia 2 (again, with some mobs being very rare, and mobs that fit the world being more common).

Economy and Protection mods
Mytown2 (This will be available, but have a cost attatched. There will be a daily rent. Not paying rent means your town protection goes away. Meaning you get raided and lose your stuff. People that play a little bit and leave become a place to raid for resources, leaving empty ruins in the wilds. Dezcorp (the server) will happily buy your hard mined resources in exchange for money you can spend at the company store. Lolcoins from voting may be used to buy things as well.

Some sort of ingame money (Buy/sell to other players. Pay for your town. Buy/sell resources to the server at the Prison and Trade Town.
Some sort of player shops for TradeTown (Players can setup a shop at tradetown and sell stuff while not online.)

Food and Farming

I'd like to have Pams Harvestcraft, Growthcraft (maybe agricraft) and hunger overhaul. More types of food available, but finding seeds will be a major problem early on, forcing trading among players. Hunger overhaul will make you eat a bit more, constantly needing food, and a way to get it. Food will be available to buy, but that of course uses up your resources from mining.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
World Design

CityWorld plugin provides for some drastic changes in worldgen. The world is covered in sand, with no dirt, no oceans, lakes, or rivers. Moutains can go up to 220, some with snow on top. But all terrain is covered with a layer of sand, and then sandstone. Frequent craters mark the landscape, some leading to deep caves. A network of underground passages crisscross the world, connecting vast bunkers hidden in the mountains. The remains of cities dot the landscape. Huge ruined skyscrapers, going as high as 13 stories. Construction sites, neighbor hoods, ruined factory buildings. All connected by streets with sewers beneath.

Constructed areas:

Outlands Correctional Facility, a subsidiary of Dezcorp.
No one calls it that. It's the Prison. And while the guy running it calles himself "Director of Personel", we all call him the Warden. Or other words i can't print here.

Dezcorp mining facility.
A bad, bad place. You'll work here a lot at first, earning your way out of the prison. Rumors of an escape tunnel being built are spoken of in hushed wispers.

Abandoned Starport: Built on the planet during the 3rd Region War, it is long abandoned and unused. Once in a great while a Rogue Trader lands and does meagre business with the Outlanders before leaving again. Some brave souls have begun work on salvaging enough to make their own in-system ships to explore and exploit the solar system.

NPC Towns: These towns will be 2k to 4k into the wilds. Each will have a bit of a theme, possible quests, or items for sale you can't get elsewhere. Over time more will be added to them.

Tradetown
A large town fairly near the Prison. Boss Hog rules Tradetown. He makes the rules and controls things. Life isn't much better than the prison. Boss Hog still has links to Dezcorp, and isn't on your side. But you can buy food, weapons, and other supplies here. Store some items. And most importantly, Boss Hog has one of the few working Reanimation chambers so that if have an accident, you can respawn in Tradetown, not in the prison.

Farnum's Freehold
No one knows where Farnum and his family are really from. No records of them exist in Dezcorp files, and some of the old timers say he was already here when the first Dezcorp ship landed. Others claim this is just a scam run by an escaped slave to hide his identity. Whatever the truth, Farnum runs a small trading post. He's a hard but honest man.

Sludge Falls
Built at the base of a huge waterfall of nasty industrial fluid, the mutated inhabitants of this shantytown make their living off of growing mushrooms and fungus, selling fermented beverages, and buying/selling salavaged items from the wastelands.

Randomly Generated structures
I will be using the Ruins mod to create templates that will put random structures in the world. These appear during world generating, so will only appear in new chunks. Many though, might be a bit hidden and will only be found while mining. Some will be quite obvious, but might be a bit rare.
I'm listing ideas for the buildings, and what might be found there. Some will have nothing, some quite a bit. All will have some danger to them.

Water Purification Plant
Full portable tanks, empty portable tanks, cisterns that hold various amounts of water.Pipes

Oil refinery
Machinery, pipes, oil well. May or may not have oil present. Tanks of oil or fuel.

Surface bunker
Designed as an enviromental shelter, these often became tombs, and might have a few critters left roaming in them along with needed supplies.

Ruined bunker
Something tore this bunker open, leaving only bits of loose wire, or a few chests left to scavenge from.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Economy

First off, lets talk about what economy means. It's not the server buying your crap so you can buy good stuff. Economy really happens when players buy and trade things from other players. For this to happen, items have to be scarce. If not scarce, no one needs anything. Look at DW20 and other packs with automated mining, dense ores, magical crops, bees, etc. Just no need. So no one trades much.

If you eventually get enough of everything, then you don't need more, and it's value drops. Theoretically, it has value to trade to someone else, but only if they need it, and have something you want.

Money is even trickier. Money does nothing in game, (other than a way to keep score, important to some people ). But if there is always a use for money, then it always has a value, and is always worth trading for.

Some uses for money:
Paying rent on land, cost to start a town, cost to add chunks to the town, tax can be flat, or go up the more land you have. You don't have to have a town..but on a raid/grief server the cost is well worth it.

Buying items that you can't get otherwise. This might be chunkloaders, beacons, or other restricted items. Or incredibly hard to find items. Which on this server might be ink sacs, leather, etc.

Artificial Shortages: The server restricts some items. You can't craft them , but you can buy them from the server. Jetpacks, Forcefield projectors, Ship Helms, all just examples. Normally not tough to craft, but very useful.

I want to have some type of shop in every npc town. Might be a large bazarre, or a supply officer, or just an old prospector buying ores. These may have different prices depending on where you are. You'll be able to sell/buy certain items directly to/from the server. And I want a way for players to have a shop in their towns, and a central market. The central market will probably be tradetown, and cost to have a plot there.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Permissions and Ranks
Each 'rank' will give you various benefits. The first is access to Reanimator cells. These will be where you respawn into the world. Beds won't work, and you won't have /home or /sethome at first.

Inmate (Newly arrived, limited to the prison) You can only respawn in the prison at a fixed spot.

Trustee (May come and go from the prison, having earned enough to buy their way out) Limited to Prison and trade town. You may choose to respawn in the 'Trustee Quarters' or the Prison.

Escapee (Why bother working when there's a free ticket out of the sewers.) Limited to tradetown. You need to set your spawn in tradetown, or you'll just end up back in prison. Boss Hog is waiting to welcome you and put you to work.

Scavenger (Access to tradetown and may stake a claim in the outlands) You have aquired a bootleg reanimation cell and can now run off and settle wherever you like. Boss Hog controls who gets these and you're going to have to pay him for one. (Access to /sethome command)

Boss (May create a town in the outlands using mytown2, and invite additional players to their town.)
After a lot of work you have enough hard cash and resources to buy into the system. Boss Hog agrees to rent you a chunk of land, and your're under his protection. You can start collecting a crew of people and put them to work for you.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Returning to this with some ideas.

First is using mobs as resources. With one of FatherToasts's mods we can adjust mob drops. This leads to the idea that over the years much technology was scavenged by the hordes of mutating and starving humans. While it might not be possible to make certain things, undead scavengers might have accumulated small stashes they carry with them. Wires, conduits, tubes, circuits.....

And in a similar vein, seeds might be found on some mobs. Important since there is a vast lack of plantlife. A few seeds may have fallen from food that scavengers have found, and looting their pocket lint after you kill them might yield these now and then.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Just found this, posting here as a bookmark to remind me to read through it all. Veins of ore look cool. Resurrection does it this way. Lots of interesting tweaks in here.

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods ... le-realism

also going to explore http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads ... ch.112573/ and see what it has to offer.

currently I'm mostly playing on a test server for http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/nucl ... ing.633731 Forums here: http://creepgaming.com/

Beta Pack is the one I'm trying to break and make suggestions for. And having fun setting up a huge rail system using Railcraft. We knocked down all the recipes to make rail lines very easy to set up early game.