Important Community Announcement

dezil_nz

Content Creator
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
dezil_nz
Lets not muck, around this announcement is to let you guys know that Lolnet is coming to an end.

It is not easy to write these words as this has been my home for over 7 years, starting out as just a mere mortal user but quickly working my way up into the ranks of the staff, and then investing heavily in the server (essentially I paid to be an owner :p ) and bringing about the modded side of Lolnet, which is what we have focused on for the last few years.

I want to take the time to thank every user that has ever spent time playing on the server as the reason I invested so much into this community is because of you, the Players.

But there are some names that need to be mentioned, the biggest being Cptwin; he was the one that took a chance on me and let me use a sub domain of Lolnet for the first server I ran. I also want to thank in no particular order 0zlw, James137137, and LX_Gaming, you guys have all sat at the very top of the Lolnet team with Cptwin and myself and you have all more than earned your right to be there - you helped shape Lolnet into what we have today with your countless hours of contribution. Now we are going to get to the part where I may forget people so I'm sorry if you don't get mentioned, but to the current and past admins thank you for helping to keep the servers running smoothly - Elements, Brandon, FaMatrix, TheChosenOne, Chris_NZ, mikhaila666, Schnicks, X_Wing, Arns, ID_ied - and to the moderator team for keeping the chat clean and the questions answered - Anarki, Igneel, PhoReaper, Krimzin, covers, Rhodesy, Cluracan, Vercci, Kspyro, Jellytip, Minty, Caotical, Derpish, EMPEthan, and I know there are many more but my brain is struggling now.

So here is a message from our founder Cptwin:

Cheers Dez

Hey everyone.

First off I’d like to say a big thanks to everyone who has been involved in the Lolnet community, your support and commitment to Lolnet has been incredible. The decision to close Lolnet down was not an easy one. It has been difficult to step away from something that you've worked on for 7+ years. Although I had to step away from directly running Lolnet a few years ago, due to time commitments, it's always been something I’m proud of.

I originally opened up Lolnet (the name of our WiFi at the time) for a group of friends running off an old computer out of my cupboard. Back then we didn't even have the .co.nz domain, it was lolnet.dyndns.biz. Slowly, I started upgrading and improving things, working on plugins and forums to keep everyone connected. It worked okay until we opened it up to the public and started getting griefed every two seconds XD. The number of players exploded from there, and I have been so grateful to all of you who kept it running, either through donating time, or money, or just enjoying playing on the servers.

Obviously as we've run for so long there are just too many people to thank. So thank you all, I've made some lifelong friends through Lolnet and I hope you have all enjoyed the community.

Thanks
Cptwin

Details:
Last day of operation will be Sunday the 30th of June
discord will stay and may be used for any other projects we decide to take up
the forum is probably going to stay
the launcher will likely be discontinued(or at the very least it will not be updated)

World Downloads:
we are not going to be offering the worlds for download as some of you may be aware the files are very large, there are however other ways of getting copy's of your base one such way is using a mod like this which means each player c an just grab there own builds

Last edited:

xElementzx

Staff member
Administrator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2017
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
xElementzx
Dez and CptWin,

I Would like to thank the both of you for shaping the community to become the way that it is today, Covers and I were talking about how different things would be if Lolnet wasn't a thing, but im sure he will elaborate on that when he decides to post. i haven't been here a very long time in comparison to some staff, these 2 years and 2 months have gone by fast and i don't want it to end, however some things must come to an end.

This place has been a home for myself, and hundreds of other players. and for that i want to say thank you.

Lolnet gave me the chance of a lifetime to go to another country and visit some awesome people and i have met some amazing people throughout my playtime here.

Thanks Again,
Elementz

anarki99nz

Administrator
Staff member
Paladin
Donation Drive 2017
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
anarki99nz
Dammit, now I have to write a sad eulogy of sorts? Fine, lets go....

Many, many thanks for Dez and CptWin for starting, fostering and nurturing this community into what it is now. I hope you know how much I, and the rest of the staff appreciate the hard work and dedication that you have both put into all of this. I have met some amazing players, and friends over the course of my time here, from a player to Senior Mod.

There's so much more I want to say, but I have a feeling it would turn into a paragraph of dad jokes, and I don't want Ele and LX to hurt me, so I'll leave it there.

I'll always lol when I think of the times we had here :cool:

~~Anarki

covers1624

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Minecraft Username
covers1624
Support on Patreon!
Thanks Elements, i enjoy being thrown under busses.
Not may people know who i am or what i do for Lolnet but a massive thanks to Dez and Brandon3055 is in order.

I started off playing on Lolnet because a friend of mine wanted to play some Direwolf20 1.7.10 modded, we played for a while but sadly i ran into a bug with my client after i died once, causing me to crash every time i tried to join the server, having little modding experience i dug into it and figured out how to fix it, the only problem was actually using the fix, i was aware that Java compiled to Bytecode and that mods sometimes edit this at launch(CoreMods), so in order to continue playing on Lolnet i taught myself Java Bytecode and wrote a CoreMod to fix my crash allowing me to continue playing with my friend, from this point on i had the itch.

At the same time i also noticed that lots of garbage got spewed to the games log file and i added a fix for that too. A few days later someone was mentioning in chat that they had a massive log file and wondered if there was a fix, i replied that i indeed had a fix for that in a mod i just wrote, Dez saw this and invited me onto the discord to have a chat (i made my discord account for lolnet xD), through that conversation i was inducted into the Lolnet Dev team(I don't think i ever ended up writing stuff for lolnet..) and i met Brandon3055.

We were chilling on TS messing around with Forge for Minecraft 1.8.8 at the time and i asked if ChickenBones Mods had been ported to 1.8 yet, the answer was no, i jokingly replied with 'well maybe i should port them' and without any push back Brandon said doit, and thats how i became the maintainer of ChickenBones mods. As a result from that i went on to port CoFH's mods(Thermal Expansion, Thermal Dynamics) to 1.10(technecally 1.9 at the time) and am now on the CoFH development team.

To this day i've worked on lots of mods, may of which some Lolnet players use daily such as, ThermalExpansion, ThermalDynamics, EnderStorage, ChickenChunks, WirelessRedstone CBE, ForgeMultipart, ProjectRed and AppliedEnergistics2(only the facades).
I can safely say, that i would not be where i am today if it wasn't for Lolnet and brandon3055 thank you.

Cheers everyone, its been a blast.
covers1624.

Last edited:

PhoReaper

Snr Moderator
Staff member
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
PhoReaper
Thankyou so much to CptWin, James, 0zlw, Dez, LX and everyone who has contributed to Lolnet as staff or as a player. It's the people who've made this community what it is. I have lots of fond memories of Lolnet, both the people I've had the pleasure of hanging out with, and all the Minecraft I've got to play on here :3 I'm sad to see Lolnet go, but this is just one of those things that happens. I'll be keeping an ear open for where people go next <3

brandon3055

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Minecraft Username
brandon3055
Support on Patreon!
Damn were to start...

Lolnet was the first and really the only Minecraft community i have become a major part of. Even when not playing on the servers i have spent a lot of time on discord and whatever voice chat we were using before that.

I have made a lot of new friends here. Of course i have got to know Dez, LX, Elements, Igneel and a few other staff members. But i think the most notable person i met though lolnet is covers1424. After i encouraged him to port Chickenbones mods he then helped me a lot with Draconic Evolution. Speaking of DE lolnet also gave me the first chance to experience public servers where people actually use my mods which really helped motivate me in a time where i wasn't sure if i wanted to continue or not.

I want to say thank you to Dez, CptWin and everyone else who helped create and maintain lolnet. I honestly dont know where i would be right now if i had never joined this community. On that note i must also thank GreatOrator as he was the one who introduced me to lolnet back when he was working on i think the original TolkienCraft pack.

I'm not going to say goodbye because i have no intention of loosing the friends i have made here.
We are just going to have to find a new place to hang out for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Igneel32

Administrator
Staff member
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Igneel32
First and foremost, thank you Dez and CptWin for running Lolnet. You both, and all the rest of the staff, have put so much energy into keeping this server alive and thriving, which is a gratitude I simply cannot express deeply enough. I'd also like to spotlight LX and James for thanks, as they have contributed mountains of their time and effort into building the server up behind the scenes - creating plugins, bug fixing, updating things, you name it.

It has been an incredible journey over the 4 years I've been here - I am so privileged to have found this server and all the amazing people in it, and it has been an absolute honor being part of the staff team, having the ability to give something back. Lolnet is the first and only gaming community I became part of, and it has helped me over the years grow into a better person. I will never forget the memories and friendships created at this server as it has come to be a second home for me, having always been there through the rough and tumble of life. As they say though, all good things must come to an end, but every ending is a new beginning and I look forward to seeing what the future brings.

To the players, I hope you can cherish your time at Lolnet and are not too sad that we are coming to a close. Thank you for being such an awesome community, I could not have asked nor hoped for better people to play with.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you, and I hope to see you all another day.
Igneel32

deathbricks

Minecraft Username
Deathbrick
Thank you staff and all for being who you were and thank you Dez and Cptwin for just everything. I regret dying before because this server was one of my first multiplayer modded packs and one of the best i've joined. I wish ya's all luck with whatever ya's do in the future and if ya's happen to start a new server in a few years time, please give me a shout, i'd love to play with ya's again.

Dobsonium

Legendary
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dobsonium
While I haven't been on the lolnet server for some time, we did play there, it still saddens me to see good things come to an end.

I wish everyone best in whatever else you do.

Now to have a Party to celebrate the good times that were. (puts on lolnet hat}

Cheers and Beers

From

Dobs

JellyTipGamer

User Assistant
Staff member
Minecraft Username
JellyTipGamer
Man... what a journey this place has been- not only for me, but the entire Lolnet community.

Lolnet has been part of my life while growing up, with me starting to play when I was around 11ish- with me in the present currently being fairly more mature and essentially an adult. It's devastating to see this place go, but I'm incredibly thankful for all the amazing opportunities and events that have happened on this server, the amazing friends that I've made, and the weird and wonderful things I've learnt. Perhaps I was not the most skilful moderator there was, but I was motivated, and incredibly thankful to be given a chance to help run this amazing server.

Lolnet will always have a little place in my heart (oh how cliche that sounds)- being the amazing Minecraft server I was obsessed with and played on for a very long time. Thank you to Dez and Cptwin for running this amazing place full of great friends and fun for so long, tolerating all the annoying twelvies, the noobs, and everything inbetween- I am eternally grateful. It's safe to assume that we all feel the same.

I love you all <3

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
aaaw man, that sucks.
I don't have time to write up anything profound at the moment so I'll just say;
You guys are awesome, thanks for giving me a chance and hosting my packs.
And thanks for all of the hours of fun.

lewled4life

Minecraft Username
Nirbin
I have so many memories from this community.

I remember running around aimlessly in the old lolnet spawn not sure where to go. Later flailing about the parkour course that used to coil up the side of the newer spawn. I remember booting up Infinity 1.8 and having trouble getting heapsize to let me run the game. I remember building villages, trying to get people to join me. I remember making a tower and someone helped make it look really cool - with marble and dark glass. I can still picture my sky island in skyblock 3 and how I rage quit the pack when I fell out of the world and had all my 1 of a kind gaia loot poof out of existence along with my supremium armor. I remember how proud I was when I developed a really efficient lava generator tower that was just as potent as a big reactor.

I kinda laugh when I think back about how much of a crusade we went on against the chicken menace, and how we thought it kept on blowing up servers.

I can think back to all the cool houses I built. A menril wood house jutting out the side of a mountain with a naturally enclosed space containing my super inferium farm. I remember the Roman-esque house which I refurbished a cave into in ATM3, and the 30 minute restarts that went with that modpack. I've made a giant Japanese castle to lord over the community I joined - then used a builder to copy it and make another massive tower, only to realize builders hate stairs.

I've partnered with so many people to help make a base together.

I remember my first time playing age of engineering and noping out of the pack after failing to build a dirt hovel. I can recall the shock horror when I realized the insanity of the recipes I was trying to craft manually in Enigmatica, before I understood that I must automate.

And now i just came back to test my mettle against the DnD pack. Which so far has chewed me up and spat me out. All of that and I never really got to end game, despite stock piling all the materials I needed and coming so far in enigmatica. I've never built a reactor from draconic.

Man what a journey, what a community. Damn I'm sad to see it go.

123zane321

User Assistant
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
123zane321
Wow, this... took me completely by a blindside, I'm still in a state of shock. Gonna need a bit of time to process this completely.

I know I've certainly come to blows with several of the staff on here for various reasons, but in all seriousness I consider each and every one of the staff on Lolnet a friend. I've been playing on here for about 5 years, and I've seen tons of awesome people come and go, made heaps of friends, and had load and loads of fun building, trading and just chatting with everyone.

It's honestly going to break my heart to see something that's been there for so long disappear, but all good things must come to an end I guess. I can only hope that I can keep in touch with the friends I've made during this time, and that everyone else can do the same as well.

FaMatrix

Content Creator
Journeyman
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
FaMatrix
Hey hey, FaMatrix / Azu's here!

Lolnet has been and always been my home to my friends, and it is sad to see it has to go now. Running and working with other staff for few years and we did push lots of work and efforts into it. We made lots of friends here and there, working together on making things happen on our Lolnet.

I would like to say, thank you to these people who helped me out with my life and my future. You all are amazing people and I do hope to stay in touch with all of you <3

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
I've had time to think about something profound to write, none of it feels right.
All of it just makes me sad that such a wonderful community is going to vanish in to the aether.
I can think back to all the cool houses I built. A menril wood house jutting out the side of a mountain with a naturally enclosed space containing my super inferium farm. I remember the Roman-esque house which I refurbished a cave into in ATM3, and the 30 minute restarts that went with that modpack. I've made a giant Japanese castle to lord over the community I joined - then used a builder to copy it and make another massive tower, only to realize builders hate stairs.
I remember those builds, those were great builds.

Questions to the staff;
When the servers go down, will the forums and discord also be closed?
Will there be a closing down party?
Will Dez be streaming the final 'stop' command going to the servers?
Will Ele finally ban Zane on the 30th just for giggles?

I had to try to make some light of the situation, its just too sad otherwise.

Kcodarc

Journeyman
Minecraft Username
Kcodarc
I hate to see this server shutdown, I've had so many great memories come from the community.

I remember when I first started playing modded and joined this server, I think it was Direwolf20 1.6.4. I recall my awe and fascination upon being shown around FaMatrix and DerHerpDerDerp's base despite my subpar laptop giving me <10FPS. Just seeing the sheer scale and complexity that you could achieve was something else.

I remember starting Uni and playing on the Infinity Expert Skyblock server with friends I had made during the first semester. We never finished that modpack, perhaps due to the few too many mishaps when rebuilding our mob spawner. It did however give us a baseline to build friendships that I still have to this day.

I remember playing Age of Engineering and building a base I was proud to show people. While also getting to see what others had built, especially Dr_Teath's base. I told myself the next time I played I would try to be more involved with this wonderful community. I guess its kind of ironic that when I next started playing that the server is being disbanded. You don't really know what you can miss out on until you miss out on it.

In summary, I give all of the Lolnet staff the most belated of thank yous. For the memories, for the community, for the countless hours you have put in to keep this community operational for 7 years, for everything. I wish you all good luck in your future endeavors.

Reverse_Cocoa

Legendary
Minecraft Username
Reverse_Cocoa
I'm devastated. Magic Farm 2 was my first experience of playing modded minecraft letalone multiplayer. I still have such fond memories of running a small village of random noobs who I'd recruit to get more chunks of grief protection, trying to wrangle kids together and putting out fires.

This community has been of such a high standard I can't really find the words. Thank you so much for the fond memories and the countless hours of work you have put in to create what has felt to me like a second home for years. Even when I spent years away due to life and not having a good enough pc I still always felt like lolnet was home, ready and waiting for when I could return. I'm sad to see those days come to an end but such is life.

Thank you for all you've done! I believe there will forever be a lolnet shaped gap in my chest. I wish you all the success you deserve <3

Sarkazo

Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Sarkazo
Thank you guys for having a great place to play minecraft in all its forms. I have enjoyed my time here and LOLnet will be missed.

Have fun with your future endeavours

Cheers
Sarkazo

cherry2003

Minecraft Username
cherry2003
I was at a volleyball tournament when I was told about this, and then the rest was just being sad for a long, long while.

The very first server that I joined was Lolnet. It was the only place where it felt like home that can't be found elsewhere. I met countless friends from the Lolnet community that has lasted till now (5 years, man...) and still in contact. Lolnet was the reason I still love Minecraft, and the reason why I bought premium.

I have learned so much, intellectually and technology-wise, and I give my most grateful thanks to all the staffs that I have worked with as a past User Assistant and I wish everyone good luck in future endeavors.

With love,
Cherry