Custom Pack - Blue Systems

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
The Pack has launched!
Many thanks to everyone who made this happen.
Launch thread here.
Curse/Twitch download available soon.
Hope everyone enjoys the pack and doesn't find too many bugs.

---===------===------===------===------===------===------===---
Hi All,

I’ve been working on a mod pack for a while, and I wanted to throw it out there for everyone to take a look at. The FTB packs (Horizons 3, Direwolf20, Revelations) have all started to look and feel the same to me. So I have gone out of my way to make a pack that looks and feels different from the standard fare. The last thing the world needs is another bland kitchen sink pack.

What does the pack include?
  • Difficulty; Is intended to be hard, but not “hardcore”.
  • Danger; Additional mobs and mob AI to eat you in the night.
  • Exploration; Customised world generation with extra murder dungeons to loot.
  • New worlds; 3 additional dimensions for you to explore and exploit.
  • Innovation; Mod choice forces you out of your comfort zone.
  • Automation; Old school systemic automation rather than magic block farms.
  • Explosions; Mining with explosives is now viable and sensible.
  • Magic; Several magic system are included to liven up the world and give you that feeling of power you get from high tier kit.
  • Cosmetics; Just because you aren’t a builder, doesn’t mean you can’t flail about helplessly.
  • Cuteness; Passive mobs that waddle about and make the world feel slightly more lived in.
  • Plants; Want to build a garden that does more than just feed you? Well you can!
  • Foods; Different food mods so you don’t have to eat your friends.
What does this pack NOT include?
  • Redundancy; I’ve tried to prevent feature replication while keeping the pack diverse.
  • Overshadowing; Some mods are just better than others, I’ve tried to pick mods that wont allow that.
  • Energy; No techno-magical electrically conductive fluids.
  • Mapping; No map mods. Hopefully people will use in world system like landmarks, way-points, and the bibliocraft enhancements to the vanilla mapping system. Seriously guys, use them!
  • Tinkers construct; Its a great mod but it is in 95% of packs.
  • Invincibility; No such thing as armor that makes you unkillable.
  • Flight; Unlimited creative flight with 4 water mills? No, just, no.
What is left to do?

The only major think left to do is tweak recipes and write up a scratch guide for your first few days. I do not intend to make too many major changes, this is not meant to be a heavily progression oriented pack.
After that, the pack is ready for its first proper outing with people playing.
NOTE: I have NOT uploaded the pack publicly yet, because I am still chipping away at it.

Is anyone interested in a pack like this?
Any suggestions?
Want to call me names because your favourite mod is not included?
Do you think I’m a Luddite for not having RF in my pack?
Tell me what you think!

Last edited:

PhoReaper

Snr Moderator
Staff member
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
PhoReaper
Looks good. Make sure Wizardry spawns mana pools, or else it's unplayable. If you ever added tech to this, make it Immersive Engineering. Any other tech mod is just grey boxes lol.

Bloo

Minecraft Username
Bloo
I love the sound of it!

This caught my eye though:
  • Plants; Want to build a garden that does more than just feed you? Well you can!
Which mod(s) did you use for this?

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
@PhoReaper
Terrain generation is handled by a vanilla custom word type, so everything should generate as if the world was using the default world type.
I have tested it and the Wizardry mana pools spawn correctly. Not sure if their spawn frequency is correct, but they do spawn.
I had a few of the normal tech mods in the pack at one stage, but it felt like every other "my first kitchen sink" pack.
If I was going to include IE and its add-on mods, I feel like I would have to gate the mod behind other things. Also the cloche would have to be hit hard.

@Bloo
A combination of;
  • Pam's weee flowers; Lets you grow every dye colour.
  • Rustic; Has a pre-nether brewing system as well as letting you make wines and ciders.
  • RealWorld; Has plants that can be made in to salves (similar to potions), dyes, and a few other useful things.
  • Nutrition; Rewards the player for a diverse diet. When all of your different food types are nearing full, the player is buffed significantly. Including additional hearts and resistance effects.

Last edited:

Igneel32

Administrator
Staff member
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Igneel32
I like the look of this pack very much

PhoReaper

Snr Moderator
Staff member
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
PhoReaper
Oh yeah one other thing. I recommend keeping the update frequency low, e.g. one per week (except where an issue is so bad it needs to be fixed asap), because I doubt we'd run a modpack that updates every two days (e.g. Modern Skyblock 2).

Bloo

Minecraft Username
Bloo
Thank you. Will there be any possibilities this will be added into LNet? Or is this purely singleplayer, or individual self-setup multiplayer?

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
@Igneel32
Thank you :)

@PhoReaper
I would hope that I wouldn't need to update that often.

@Bloo
Well two of the mods seem interested so I think I'm in with a chance.

I was not planning on tweaking that many scripts. I should be able to get the pack up on curse by the weekend.

mikhaila666

Ascendant
Veteran
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
mikhaila666
Looks interesting. I don't play much minecraft anymore because I like harder packs and building in adverse conditions with challenges.

123zane321

User Assistant
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
123zane321
Kinda bummed that Blood Magic and Botania aren't in there, but I guess that fits in with your intention of not adding mods that will insanely overshadow others. I'd be keen to give the pack a go if it comes to Lolnet, in any case.

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
@mikhaila666
I much prefer the pack with a bit of progression in them. The normal kitchen sink packs really only catch my attention these days if they have new mods I've never used.

@123zane321
The pack is 1.12.2. Blood magic has not updated that far yet, which sucks because the over haul they did post +1.9 looked really nice.
I love Botania and I thought long an hard about dropping it.
My main reason is that the corporea system did not seem to work correctly on ATM3. The player item requesting system uses the in game text chat; and it simple did not function on the servers. I assume it has to do with the cross server chat plugins but I couldn't find any information about it.
Which is a huge shame because its a really cool and very powerful system.
I should really poke @LX_Gaming about that, it would fit in to the pack much better than my current solution.

123zane321

User Assistant
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
123zane321
Oh derp, didn't realise BM hadn't been updated to 1.12.

Fingers crossed something can be sorted with Botania, but hell, even without the corporea system, it's still a kick-ass mod with plenty of features - Storage Drawers would be more than enough for me for mass storage of stuff.

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
Progress update time!

I’ve messed with a lot of setting and configs and I’m happy with how the game play has shaped up. I think I have most of the kinks worked out. I hope.

Mod changes;
I have pulled the Realworld mod, Bloodmoon, and Dynamic surrounds. For Legal, difficulty and FPS reasons respectively.

I have added several mods;
  • Born in a Barn; Fix to a chunk loading bug caused by villages.
  • Extra Rails; Adds a few new utilities rail to improve your transport systems.
  • Level up!; Adds another use for experience orbs. Allowing the player to invest XP in to improving their skills, slowing adding buffs and perks for every few levels invested.
Additional difficulty;
  • Buckets; You can no longer make water source blocks with buckets. To use water in your build you must either exploit natural water or mechanically pump water.
  • Darkness; Light levels outside will follow the moon cycle and be virtually non existent in in caves. Take plenty of torches lest your mind start playing tricks on you.
  • Dungeons; Spawn frequently and can be very dangerous, but also provide large quantities of dropped loot and experience.
  • Flight; In addition to vanilla elytra, broom sticks from evil craft will also allow you to fly. To make base building easier, Magical feathers will allow creative flight while held in range of a vanilla beacon. Crafting this item will require items from 4 different dimensions.
  • Logging; Punching wood will not yield logs, you need an axe for that. Cutting down logs requires you to craft them with an axe. Eventually you will be able to build a saw mill to automate cutting logs in to planks.
  • Mapping; With no map mod included, orienteering will become important. Vanilla maps and bibliocraft additions to that system will be very important for navigation. Vanilla compasses are now much cheaper to compensate. Way-points both spawn in the world and can be built by players to allow long range teleportation.
  • Mobs; A variety of new mobs spawn and vanilla mobs are now smarter. Zombies can now spawn in groups rather than randomly; they can search for players at a longer range, and move as a hoard towards players and light sources. Vanilla zombies now ALWAYS drop tools and armour they are wearing if you kill them.
  • Movement; Speed now depends on the surface you are walking on. Sand, snow and tall grass will slow you down significantly while exploring. Building road with stone or vanilla path blocks will allow you to move much more quickly across the world.
  • Ores and Processing; Furnaces are not very hot and yield only three nuggets per ore smelted. Grinding your ores will produce two dust. Each dust will yield six nuggets. Cooking ore in a kiln will yield two ingots per ore. Starlight Infusion will yield three ingots per ore.
  • Scaffolding; You can no longer place blocks while jumping. Scaffolding will be necessary until you can acquire, and fuel, some sort of flight.
  • Stratification; Rock gets harder the deeper down you dig. The overworld now has three distinct layers of rock, the colour of the stone and time to dig through the rock will increase as you near the bedrock. While you can break the bottom layer with a flint pick axe, the amount of time taken to break the lower layer with primitive tools should discourage you from doing so.
  • Terrain; Is larger and more difficult to traverse along with more more diverse due to structure generation. Ores spawn more frequently and with wider ranges. Coal and iron spawn at higher levels on hills. It is possible to find gold lower on hill sides. Redstone and diamonds spawn in the higher reaches of caves and ravines.
  • Tools; Many of the early tools have been disabled. Replaced with a handful of selected wood and flint tools. To compensate for this, Flint can now be crafted with a gravel and a stick in your inventory crafting grid.
  • Transport; With all flight being conditional, horses, mules, donkeys, and chocobos should be a more viable method or transport; in addition to being cute.
  • Water straining; Alluvial ore deposits are more common than you might think. However making a strainer strong enough to collect the precious stones and gold nuggets is not as easy as you might hope.
World gen information;
Sea level is 63
Build limit is 255

Stratum layer hardness;
Easy; Between 54 and 255
Medium; Between 34 and 53
Hard; Between 0 and 33

Ore spawns;
Coal and Iron spawns between 0 and 255
Gold spawns between 0 and 100
Redstone spawns between 0 and 68
Diamonds spawns between 0 and 25
Lapis Lazuli spawns in clouds centred around 16 with a spread of 120

Quick overview of the start of the game tools; from left to right.
Wooden club, wooden shield, wooden shovel, flint stone knife (doubles as shears), flint pick axe, flint axe, butchers axe (gives extra drops from passive mobs), torches, Astral Sorcery Grindstone (requires luminous crafting. manually grinds ores to dust).

@123zane321 I did have botania in an early version of the pack. If by some black magic @LXGaming managed to get the corporea system working, I could easily re-add it. It would require me to do a bit of extra scripting work, but nothing too long winded.
Also the pack includes iron chests, storage drawers, refined relocation and simple storage networks. No AE2 or RS, but there are still plenty of mass storage options.

Last edited:

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
Progress update;

I've decided against adding Immersive Engineering. Prototypes I've build included IE and its plugins; it leads to a rabbit hole plugins and extensions to fill gaps and results in another 10 or 11 mods being added. Tweaking all that content gets difficult. Also IE goes against the idea of not including techno-magical electrically conductive fluids.

I've decided against adding Botania. The tools and armor have effectively unlimited durability and mana steel can break obsidian with iron level resources. Also the rod of the seas allows you to place water source blocks, which skips around the difficulty created by the changes to the water system.

I've removed Elucent's mods. He has 'archived' them, so when you create a pack with them the launcher complains.
I've added reliquary and caveroot, to plug gaps in the pack. Reliquary adds some interesting loot and a few tools, most people know a bit about this mod but have only ever played it in packs where most of it is overshadowed by other mods. Caveroot adds a plant to caves for you to eat on long mining trips, or if you get lost underground.

I'm close to making the pack available publicly now.

123zane321

User Assistant
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
123zane321
(Not adding IE) Fair enough, too many modpack are practically drowning in tech mods.

(Not adding Botania) Again, slightly bummed this isn't in the modpack, but I can understand your reasons for doing so. Although, if I might offer a suggestion (Not that I know much about building a modpack - because I don't, lol) maybe the recipe for the Rod of the Seas could be disabled, or the mod could be gated behind another mod (similar to how it was done with IE:Expert), so as to make it harder to rush the higher tier stuff?

(Removing Elucent's mods) No idea what these are, so I don't have a comment, lol.

(Adding Reliquary) Nice, I like this mod, particularly some of the wands (such ad the one that places orbs of light akin to torches) - I think this mod also has the lantern that spam-places torches in dark areas nearby, am I correct? Would be handy for mining trips.

(Adding caveroot) Sounds interesting - how common are these roots, and what Y levels / biomes do they spawn in?

Can't wait to see this modpack available publicly, and hopefully on lolnet too =)

Last edited:

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
@123zane321 I like tech packs, don't get me wrong. But so many packs focus on the tech mods that everything else seems to get lost in the mountain of copper and invar ingots that you need to smelt.
I don't really like that ME systems are mandatory and that the alternative is so server heavy that lolnet banned it where AE2 exists. Hopefully people will enjoy the alternatives I have included in Blue Systems.

If I were to include Botania, it would be gated. Flowers would require nether access. The Armour and tools would require end access. The rod of the seas and the orechide would have to go completely. The automation potential of Botania is amazing and the utility of its baubles is a perhaps the most balanced I've seen on a mod that broad.
Damn it don't make my think about this!

Elucent made mods like roots and blockcraftery, both wonderful mods. But he has stated that he is no longer supporting them.
Reliquary does include a tool to auto-spam torches as you explore. Not enough wands, torchmaster and, astral sorcery also have items that help you light up areas. Light is important with all the extra mobs, so I'll ignore the duplication.

Caveroots seem to spawn in the lower 1/3 of the world, the large ravines spawning up to 3 of them. From my testing, they are common enough to be useful but rare enough to be a find.

123zane321

User Assistant
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2017
Minecraft Username
123zane321
- Yea, Simple Storage Networks looks pretty decent - visually, looks like a dumbed-down version of RS. One question though, do the Storage Buses from SSN work with Drawer Controllers? (as in, you smack one on a controller, and can access all drawers connected to it)

- Those actually sound like reasonable requirements - having access to Nether/End seems like a decent enough way to gate them (I assume that some kind of resource from the End could be used to make Manasteel - maybe Shulker Shells or Chorus Flowers?) And no, I don't regret making you think about this XD

- I've heard of Roots, dabbled in that a bit, but never really got into it much.

One more thing, is there any mod in your pack that allows the creation of spawners of any kind? I don't see any of the usual ones that I'm aware of (DE, Soul Shards, etc)

Sorry if I sound like I'm harping on, I'm just keen to give my feedback on what it looks like so far. Heck, if you need anybody to help test the pack in any way, I'd be keen to help.

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
Yes simple storage networks seems to be able to connect to any block that has an appropriately registered inventory. I have tested it with iron chests, storage drawers (controllers included), refined relocation and a few others. While it is not as versatile as AE2 and lacks the auto-crafting and internal storage, that is kind of the point. It forces players to use something different.

My idea with botania was to prevent flower spawn and require the player to make floral fertilizer, using a stoked cauldron from better with mods. That would require infrastructure built from nether materials. The armour and tool would have to be built using the better with mod anvil. If possible, mana steel would be created using soul steel instead of raw iron; again requiring better with mods and end access.
No you have me seriously thinking about this now.

You can not create spawners directly. However the world generation and dungeon mods included make them MUCH more common. Things like guardians, endermen, and wither skeletons do have spawners; thanks to the doom like dungeons mod. Not enough wands allows you to move vanilla spawners at the cost about half a level of experience.

Don't worry about harping. I asked for feed back and I got it.
I'm happy to see that people are interested.

Igneel32

Administrator
Staff member
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Igneel32
You mentioned the Torchmaster mod a while ago. That mod caused us one helluva problem in Revelation *cough world block corruption cough* and would need to be disabled (or even removed) if the pack were to be hosted here. I have a sneaking suspicion that Lx, Elementz and the others don't feel too keen on having a repeat event like Rev...

Dr_Teath

Content Creator
Ascendant
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Dr_Teath
@Igneel32 I had not heard about that world corruption bug.
Last thing I want is a pack that randomly explodes.
I'll pull the mod.

EDIT: creepers can randomly explode, but not whole worlds.