Crafting Book & Quil Contracts

Chipsz

I've had this idea on my my mind for a while now, its just I have had other things to write about on the forums, plus, I'm worried by now people are annoyed with my posting :lol: JOKES, I don't care if your annoyed, I raise valid questions and points, so suck it up, its all for the betterment of the server that I have sort of fell in love with ;)

If two users make an agreement to do or not do something and write out the terms and conditions using a book and quill, would this be enforceable?
For example:
James wants someone to rent his old house for money.
Kelly wants a place to live.
James wants money, however Kelly has no money.
They both come to a compromise, where Instead of Kelly giving James money weekly, Kelly harvests the farms on the land at least once a week, replants and gives half of the product to James. In return James lets Kelly have full access to the 20x15 land claim as long as she doesn't destroy the main structure of the house and farms.

So they both write the same identical Agreements in a book and quill each, and sign one book each.
In that, then Kelly gives here signed book to James and James gives his book to Kelly, so that in the event of someone breaking the agreement, the other can take their book with the signature for the someone who broke the deal.

Other things that can be included in the Books and quill contracts could be the consequences for breaking an agreement, such as having to pay an amount of money or give an amount of item(s) etc. Perhaps even Mod intervention/support?

The real question here is: To what extent would moderators support this idea?
As it would seem that people are wanting to do things on this server, but cannot trust people due to griefing, however if they had the tool of contracting with the other party stating that if they go against their word that they consent to a ban for 1 month (as an example), would the Mods do the ban if the book and quill is presented?

Chipsz

dezil_nz

Content Creator
Veteran
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
dezil_nz
Yes chipsz your posts are becoming annoying :p

So what your asking is for mods/admins to enforce agreements made between players don't you think that we have enough on to do with out you adding to it?

Cheers Dez

cptwin

Veteran
Veteran
Minecraft Username
cptwin
The only problem with this is that anyone can modify the books, it doesn't provide date and time so how would any staff be able to verify which one is correct?

Chipsz

dezil_nz said:
Yes chipsz your posts are becoming annoying :p

So what your asking is for mods/admins to enforce agreements made between players don't you think that we have enough on to do with out you adding to it?

Cheers Dez
Maybe this could simplify the involvement with disputes if there are properly written up contracts? I am unsure of to what extent mods/admins have with disputes, but having clear cut arrangements between users should make things easier when dealing with disputes? I wouldn't know for sure though, I'm no mod :) which is why I am here on the forums :D
Furthermore, we could have User Assistants reviewing disputes (which they already do) and then them forwarding the cases which need involvement of a more powerful staff member (mod/admin etc) if the dispute needs actions such as jail time and/or bans etc.

Churr

CptWin said:
The only problem with this is that anyone can modify the books, it doesn't provide date and time so how would any staff be able to verify which one is correct?
The books would be signed and dated, or they will not be enforceable(idea), making them non-editable and relative.. unless you can edit a book after it is signed? but then if that is so, the signature would change on the book.

When someone writes on a book and quill, once it is complete, one would click "sign", after that, one names the book. Afterwards, when ever you hover the mouse over the named book (former book and quill) it tells you the name of the book and who signed it.
So, we can provide who agreed to the contract, because it will be they who signed the book, and we can determine a time, based on the date and time written in the book.

Hell, we could even make debt instruments using the book and quill!!
And I could open a Minecraft lolnet Law firm! :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for taking some time to responde CptWin

Chipsz

P.S perhaps the example I gave when I wrote this up was stink, but I wanted to make a simple one for the sake of making the idea easy to digest, coz, I believe that this contract idea would probably be only used for more serious business, like in the construction of epic things, and the organization of communities etc...
The possibilities are limitless.... :)

Chipsz

p.s.s the most edit you can do without third party programs to the book is renaming he item itself with an anvil, which means that all the relevant information on the book itself would be contained in the signature and the contents of the book.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Written_book

Maybe I should rename this thread to written book contracts?
but "Crafting Book & Quil Contracts" sounds better! hehe :)

dezil_nz

Content Creator
Veteran
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
dezil_nz
The only problem I see is cptwin writing a book saying I will make him a 100 slot server and then op him signing it with my name then accusing me of destroying my copy of the contract cptwin is very sneaky you know

Cheers Dez

Chipsz

dezil_nz said:
The only problem I see is cptwin writing a book saying I will make him a 100 slot server and then op him signing it with my name then accusing me of destroying my copy of the contract cptwin is very sneaky you know

Cheers Dez
:lol: :lol: :lol:
hahahahahahaha
ok, well then, make it mods/admins/CptWins cant contract :shock:

nnewman

Minecraft Username
nnewman
Chips every idea helps us, so dont be afraid to post your ideas!

With the book and quil,
It can easily be forged. For example with our golem farm, you make a book saying (in my name) that we go 80%-20% (you to me) and then sign it using my name.......
Nobody could verify that you (or anyone else in that matter) made the quill and i cannot think of a way for this to work very well...... As much as the idea is a good one it just honestly isn't reasonable

P.S. I havnt been on lolnet (or ts or mumble) for a week because im in brisbane on holidays. I should be home Saturday (mid-day?) and then i will be on

Chipsz

nnewman said:
Chips every idea helps us, so dont be afraid to post your ideas!

With the book and quil,
It can easily be forged. For example with our golem farm, you make a book saying (in my name) that we go 80%-20% (you to me) and then sign it using my name.......
Nobody could verify that you (or anyone else in that matter) made the quill and i cannot think of a way for this to work very well...... As much as the idea is a good one it just honestly isn't reasonable

P.S. I havnt been on lolnet (or ts or mumble) for a week because im in brisbane on holidays. I should be home Saturday (mid-day?) and then i will be on
Could you go into more detail on how it would be easy to forge a signature on a book?
The only way I could see it happening is if you got in a 3rd party editor (which would be illegal, and quite difficult) or if you hacked into someones account and signed the book.
even on creative mode you can't edit who signed a book once it is signed.

cptwin

Veteran
Veteran
Minecraft Username
cptwin
Ok didn't realize, but from the wiki:
"When signed, a book will have the name of the player who wrote it, or "Player" if signed while playing offline."

So your idea could work if I signed it and then gave you the book, and later if we needed to check you would have a book signed by cptwin.

Chipsz

CptWin said:
"When signed, a book will have the name of the player who wrote it, or "Player" if signed while playing offline."

So your idea could work if I signed it and then gave you the book, and later if we needed to check you would have a book signed by cptwin.
Exactly!
As for technicalities, such as date and time, duration of contract and the such, this can all be written out on a lolnet contract guide.
I could help out making it, as I already have 3 years self study into law :D

Chipsz

Assassin said:
:O what a wonderful idea chipz
thank you Assassin! :D

There are some people out there with great imaginations and some awesome builds to offer the server, however most of them don't have the necessary resources available to them to build the stuff they want.. however, some people do have what they need, but cant get guarantee that they will pay them back...
this contract business could really help this situation.

Another scenario contracts could help is when someone needs help to build something, a bit of manual labor, but they don't want the labor to ruin/grief the build or steal from chests etc etc, so through the contract they place limitations and restrictions on the privilege of trust, and the punishments of going against the agreements are further reaching then just an untrust, the punishments could include banning and/or jail time.

Assassin

Chipsz said:
CptWin said:

Exactly!
As for technicalities, such as date and time, duration of contract and the such, this can all be written out on a lolnet contract guide.
I could help out making it, as I already have 3 years self study into law :D
im gonna study law too after i finished highschool and that will take a while

nnewman

Minecraft Username
nnewman
There is the quill.... Or my idea

I propose: CptWin makes another section in the forums and all agreements that wish to be taken seriously can be posted on there, and every detail and anything anyone could wish for on there. That way it's also easier for us UA's to track it and deal with things

What yous rekon?

Assassin

nnewman said:

I propose: CptWin makes another section in the forums and all agreements that wish to be taken seriously can be posted on there, and every detail and anything anyone could wish for on there. That way it's also easier for us UA's to track it and deal with things

What yous rekon?
or just make a idea section

Chipsz

nnewman said:

What yous rekon?
haha! that was in my arsenal as an idea for this if people opposed it.
I think the quill thing is how things should be done, and in combination do a forum post to reaffirm the contract.
The point of the Quill idea is that someone actually hold something in the game, that even in some circumstances be traded and sold, much like in real life...
But yes, I completely agree there be a new section int he forums be made called "contracts" and in that section, all things related to this new idea, be done there.