Status
Not open for further replies.

Microjet

Legendary
Donation Drive 2017
Donation Drive 2018
Minecraft Username
Microjet
The Key Points (Core Character Builders)

Why do you want to become a Moderator?

To put me in a position to be able to help people more. I see a declining interest in our modpacks due to old MC versions being used. I want to find a way to help support and hold this community together at least until we can run the latest and greatest packs again.

Why do you believe you should be a Moderator?

Being a moderator to me is about serving the community, people put their trust in you to be fair, responsible and available. I try to help people already but I would like to be better equipped so that I might help people more effectively.

What can you contribute to Creation Reborn as a Moderator?

I work mostly from home, so I can be more available, but I also want to try to engage the community as a whole. We used to run events for the community which brought a lot of people together. I would like to be able to also contribute in this way if I can.

Previous Experience and Skills (Life Level ups)

Working Background:

I work in IT for a company in Sydney, and as such have plenty of experience maintaining java, .net, docker based servers and services. I have worked this role for the last 7 years. I have also built some simple MC servers in the past for running locally for fun and to see how certain monitoring platforms worked at the time.
I have experience diagnosing java stack traces from my services at work and believe this would partly help in keeping things running for the CR community.

What mods/modpacks do you have experience with?

If CR or lolnet has hosted it in the past 3-4 years, I think I’ve played it. Though I tend to get distracted by building things in modpacks rather than progressing technologically.
Don’t get me wrong though, I love a good tech mod like ender io or thermal expansion and all its addons, or Immersive Engineering, that's a fun one, ooh no what about mekanism and its 5x ore processing, so satisfying!.
Magic mods I’m a bit more distant with, I know mostly how the popular ones work but usually a good google search fills me in on the more obscure ones.

Are you playing on a modpack currently? which one?

I am currently bouncing between MC Eternal, FTB Rev, Stoneblock 2, and the Lobby!

Have you setup or operated a Minecraft server before? Do you have experience in Administering or Moderating Minecraft servers or other games?

Unfortunately I can’t really say that I have operated a minecraft server properly in that I am familiar with the commands needed to do so. I am aware that some servers come with their own tool set but I think the CR team are using their own set of tools for server administration.
Probably the most complex task I have done for server setup would be configuring a permissions file to assign certain commands to ranks but this was quite a while ago when bukkit was still a common thing and I expect the methods used to do that have changed now. Eager to learn though!

What experience do you have with using plugins (Adamantine Shield, ReportRTS) as a moderating tool?

I don’t currently have any experience using these tools but as I mentioned in the previous question, I am eager to learn.

What skills (outside of Minecraft) could you provide Creation Reborn? How would these help the server?
(eg: Website Design, Graphic Design, Experience with running other game servers etc)

I have experience from my workplace in apache web servers, java server applications, maintaining and analysing them for issues. I also have experience working with docker and have heard that CR plans to convert its server infrastructure to docker containers.

Examples of Contribution to the server:

What is an example of a time when you acted like a moderator?
(Conflict resolution, helped a newbie, community spirit)

I try to be a pretty helpful fellow player, trying to provide help where I can, when people ask it. I’m also a firm believer in explaining in detail why so people can learn from that. If I can prevent someone running into a problem later then I’ve achieved my goal. Sometimes this means getting people to learn from google or a good vid rather than just fixing something or telling the answer and that person learns nothing. I also like to point out if something is banned or someone is not following established rules. Rules are there for a reason.

What is an example of a time where you weren't so moderator like?
(Argued with another player, exploited a bug, tried to use x-ray)

I tend to walk away from arguing with a player, or just drop it for the sake of other people in the chat.
Haven’t exploited any bugs as far as I know and I hate xray, takes all the challenge out of it. Probably the most anti moderator like thing I’ve done would be to go raiding chests in dungeons even though I don’t need them…

About You:

Time Zone and when are you typically online. (We are looking for a diverse range of timezones to have more staff available more often):

I live in Sydney so I’m in the GMT +10 time zone, and a bit of a night owl, so generally available between 8pm to 2am.

How would you like to improve Creation Reborn? What can we do better to make using the server better?

I think Jelly hosted a community event last year? With the build and guess comp. Was great fun and I would like to help host things like this. I want to support this community through this tough time.

Do you own a microphone/headset? and have you used our Discord server before?

Yep, I have been part of the Lolnet/CR discord for years, I’ve been in Ele’s bedroom before lol :)

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I think this is a fantastic community that has been built up here and I’d like to do whatever I can to help protect and enhance that.

Status
Not open for further replies.